Monday, October 5, 2009

All in on Golden Star

Action in Golden Star Resources has been odd all last week, ending on a particular note at 30 sec after the market closed somebody buying 65,000 shares for a 3 cent premium over the asking price. This was not the only occurrence as someone did the same thing Thursday too, only that was 35,000. Fridays after market did 300,000 shares while majority of the gold sectors after market volume was around 15,000. There was one other gold stock that had anywhere near that, Goldfields (GFI) at 340,000. Whats interesting about this is that Golden Star has only two operations both in Ghana. Goldfields has multiple mines including one that is a 70-20 joint venture with IAG, but the two sole owned mines for GFI just happen to be within spitting distance of GSS's... hmm. GSS's performance today is honestly pathetic, but being that if a buyout was going to happen it would have today may explain that the market is disappointed that it hasn't as I know I am far from the only one who came to this conclusion.

In short The gold miners are overdue for some consolidation, and with gold prices holding firmly at over 1000 would make this an appropriate time. Sure there are plenty of theories on buyouts and most won't be correct, I will maintain that GSS looks as good as ever for a major miner to purchase very soon. Goldfields would be the most logical, but of course I keep an open mind.

Just thought I'd tell you what I've been seeing and how my thinking is on the subject, I'll never leave you out on what I think is a good call.

-J

P.S. oh yeah and other than a dismal 300 shares of TRE I've been holding for months, I'm all in on GSS. One way or another somethings gonna happen to it or the gold market and at 3.20 I like it and expect at least a run back to 3.50 or to the high at 3.71.

No comments:

Post a Comment